As Director of Business Development, you are an integral part of the marketing and business development function for G&A, facilitating a successful capture strategy for company growth, while managing the BD Team and process. As the team lead, you will be successful because you are a meticulous manager, with exacting organizational skills and strong writing abilities. In addition, you must be a persuasive and intuitive marketer, able to engage decision-makers; relentlessly positive and calm under pressure and a team player who can successfully prioritize and multi-task to complete projects with aggressive timelines.
The Director of Business Development is also responsible for both pro-actively seeking out and responding to new business opportunities. Working in collaboration with the SVP of Strategic Partnerships, you will develop, coordinate and implement plans designed to increase existing business and capture new opportunities. You will manage the business development process throughout its lifecycle; managing team output, creating responses, multi-platform content and other deliverables daily.
The Director of Business Development will report directly to G&A’s COO and work closely with the SVP of Strategic Partnerships. Serving firm-wide as the Business Development POC, driving/collaborating with internal project teams (including firm Principal, Creative and Studio Directors, Exhibit and Graphic Designers, and Digital Interactive Designers).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Proactively identifies, develops and coordinates new business opportunities, while tracking current projects and incoming leads.
- Examines risks and potentials for business opportunities and follow-up required.
- Evaluates/resolves internal priorities.
- Manages pursuit lifecycle, content development and responses including leading RFI and RFP submissions (working with Principal, Senior Team Leaders, and other Collaborative Partners – internal and external).
- Leverages Salesforce as company’s lead tracking, BD pipeline development, and CRM tool.
- Develops and negotiates contracts; integrates contract requirements with Business Operations and Producers | Project Management team.
- Enhances G&A’s reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different approaches to submittals and qualifications.
- Collaborates with SVP of Strategic Partnerships and leadership to secure, retain, and grow new business.
- Works with project teams to develop interview presentations, including custom Keynote/PPT and Google Suite document.; presents to potential clients, as required.
- Works in tandem with BD Manager to track success metrics against pursuit strategies for constant improvement (including monthly reporting to COO and Marketing/BD teams); coordinates with BD Manager to review/track pursuits win/loss rate, analyzes pursuits performance trends, analyzes competitor and client behavior; provides pursuit debrief intel and real-time communication to show what we need, when and why.
- Participates in and champions strategy and planning sessions with the BD/Marketing Team; advises and contributes to the overall Integrated Marketing Plan.
- Maintains G&A integrity and quality management; ensures cohesive brand compliance.
- Develops/gains comprehensive understanding of G&A’s portfolio of work, practice areas, capabilities, and clients touch-points.
- Collaborates with SVP of Strategic Partnerships to locate or propose potential business deals by contacting potential partners
Representing our pursuit and qualification needs:
- Ensures G&A’s brand integrity; advises and collaborates with Marketing Designer to develop new materials, images and multi-channel content to support BD activities
- Advises on and contributes to client outreach strategy and program development, thought leadership content and programming
- Maintains and maximizes professional organization/association membership and relevant community organization participation, in collaboration with the SVP of Strategic Partnerships
- Manages other responsibilities as assigned; this position may require some travel for conferences, educational sessions, and other company events that occur outside of office hours
Education & Experience
- You will be an ambassador for G&A’s core values both in and outside the company
- A tenacious self-starter with a positive attitude is a MUST
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Business Communications or related field
- Minimum of 5-7 years of relevant experience and demonstrated expertise in Marketing, Communications, Client Management for Creative/Design Services
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Impeccable organizational and EQ skills
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills; advanced ability to write convincingly and edit critically
- Ability to think conceptually and to convey complex ideas through both written and visual methods
- Superior knowledge of pursuit marketing tactics and proposal management trends, offering immediate practical skills for business advancement
- Excellent eye for detail; must have a strong sense of accountability and provide Best in Class expertise and product
- An interest in and understanding of Museum and Visitor Experience design is a PLUS
- Strong proficiency in Adobe inDesign, Keynote, Microsoft Office, Google Suite
- Expertise in CRM platforms such as Salesforce and Deltek is a STRONG PLUS
Competitive Salary, Vacation, Sick and Personal Holiday, Company Paid Holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Employee Referral Bonus Program, Medical & Dental Plan, Summer Fridays and more…
It is an exciting time to join the G&A team and we have the core values to prove it — Excellence, Impact, Integrity & Balance shape our future and are designed and defined to help our team understand the link between strategy and culture. These values explain how the day-to-day translates into supporting aligned efforts and goals across the board. Join us as we continue to develop our culture together, to fit our style and your success!
We will synthesize the digital and physical worlds in innovative ways like no one else.
We integrate our diverse capabilities in order to deliver unrivaled experiences.
OUR VALUES & WAYS OF WORKING:
We are committed to creating our best work:
- Build working relationships with team members and cross-functional colleagues to come up with your best work
- Seek different perspectives, inputs and feedback when working through hurdles
- Get out there and see what’s new in the world of design; request a conference or team field trip for inspiration
We create a culture of curiosity and learning:
- Be passionately curious; show eagerness to learn
- Challenge assumptions and suggest different approaches
- Stay current in your area of expertise, G&A, and our industry
- Applaud others for their accomplishments
- Share helpful information and best practices with team members
Always be proactive:
- Do not over-commit yourself; speak up
- Utilize resources (i.e. people, templates, workshop request, supplies) to meet your goals and needs
- Be detail oriented in all that you do (spell check!) to put your best foot forward
We are true ambassadors:
- Follow G&A on social media (“like” our photos; make suggestions for improvements)
- Give marketing something cool to post about your or your work contributions
- Be credible and always put your best foot forward
We are locally and globally conscious:
- Say no to plastic and use less paper around the office
- Bring a new perspective to our clients – think sustainability where it counts
Inclusion brings us together:
- Take ownership of how your work supports the shared objectives of the team
- Understand the work of your team and how it contributes to the project/team priorities
- Look for opportunities to help your neighbor when in need
Trust and respect is a must:
- Be intentional, and respectful in all conversations
- Listen with an open-mind to different viewpoints
- Be responsive, on time, and on task for your team; work together to be honest with each other when challenges arise
We have open lines of communication:
- Stay up-to-date on company news (e.g. newsletter, Instagram – follow GandA)
- Ensure that your manager and team members are kept informed of progress or hurdles – they can help!
- Listen and ask questions to gather information and understand other viewpoints
- Explore new ways to be more efficient
Adaptability is key:
- Always think beyond the problem and toward the solution
- Be flexible and responsive to changes in priorities
- Embrace new ways of doing things
Work-Life blend for success:
- Take time to unwind
- Take lunch
- Participate in a wellness activity or challenge