Gallagher Museum Services (GMS) is the strategy and business planning division of Gallagher & Associates (G&A), which is internationally recognized as a leader in creating successful, engaging experiences — synthesizing the physical and digital worlds in ways that move people, momentarily stopping time and creating lifelong impact.
Leveraging nearly 25 years as a leader in the museum master planning, exhibit design, and branding, G&A is pioneering new markets and new geographies. With an independent, founder-owned network of interdisciplinary design studios in New York City, Portland OR, Washington DC, and Singapore, G&A brings a highly regarded collaborative style, plus design and service excellence, to clients and public spaces around the world.
Working in collaboration with clients, world-class designers at G&A, and other professional teams, the Gallagher Museum Services (GMS) team provides critical development and business strategy, operational planning, and financial services to its clients. During each phase of a cultural institution’s life, the GMS team operates as a trusted advisor to its clients, ensuring that each strategic and tactical decision is grounded with experienced counsel, leading to a project that is achievable in the short term and financially sustainable in the long-term. From right-sizing a project through responsible interpretive master plans and feasibility studies, to ensuring it’s built on time and under budget through effective owner’s representation services, to setting up and operating an institution for long-term success through financial and operational management advisory services, the GMS team is comprised of a proven group of interdisciplinary professionals, working side by side with the institution’s leadership to ensure a project’s strategy, structure, and execution support an institution’s mission and strategic objectives.
GMS is seeking a highly motivated and diversely talented Project Manager to join our team in our headquarters in Silver Spring, Maryland. The new Project Manager will be responsible for managing critical functions across all GMS projects.
The Project Manager (PM) will serve as one of the primary points of contact between the GMS team and the client, as well as with all project team members (i.e. exhibit design, architect, media production, fabrication, A/V integration, and other professional/project team members). S/he is responsible for the coordination of internal and external project teams, creation and oversight of project schedule and budget, and confirmation of contractual scope and deliverables per the signed contract. The ideal candidate will be a strong leader and effective communicator that can easily adapt to a shifting environment while maintaining GMS standards and procedures.
As a member of this diverse group, the successful candidate will work collaboratively with the client, architects, internal physical and digital design teams and consultants from renowned museums, corporations, universities, and governmental organizations. As part of this team, the PM’s responsibilities include:
- Manage day-to-day operational aspects of the project while maintaining adherence to contracted scope and GMS/G&A project management procedures
- Identify GMS staffing resources needed on a project-by-project basis
- Work with other GMS/G&A project leads to assign and track individual responsibilities
- Develop GMS project plans and cost estimates to ensure the scope of work falls within the client’s project budget
- Facilitate full GMS team communication by running internal and external meetings effectively, resolving and/or escalating issues in a timely fashion, documenting and tracking decisions, managing and tracking client approvals, tracking action items from meetings and calls, and managing GMS subcontractors to ensure seamless integration of all project aspects. Consultants may include data researchers, specialty consultants (e.g., retail, food, and beverage), architects, fabricators, media producers, general contractors, AV systems designers, lighting designers, etc.
- Minimize GMS exposure and risk on projects
- Identify opportunities for process improvement and make constructive suggestions for change
- Maintain internal project financial documentation, including: Tracking and reporting project costs; Analyzing project profitability and revenue with President and G&A executive Producer; Coordinating billing, accrual schedules, and invoice payments with G&A project manager and firm’s controller; Following up with clients, when necessary, regarding unpaid invoices; Assuring all subcontractor documents are completed and signed
- Assist with business development activities for new GMS pursuits
- Identify additional service opportunities as they relate to a specific project
- Effectively convey GMS message in both written and verbal business opportunity discussions
- Manage client expectations by providing education on project and GMS processes, maintaining regular communication, and establishing a review and approval process
- Maintain an understanding of exhibit and museum development including feasibility, project financing, design, graphic design, media production, and exhibit fabrication, general construction, and operations
- Maintain familiarity with museum industry standards: AAM guidelines, ADA compliance, operational strategies
- Minimum of 3-5 years as project coordinator or project manager in exhibit/architecture, professional design or creative services, real estate or management consulting experience or similar industries
- Bachelor’s degree
Competitive Salary, Vacation, Sick, and Personal Holiday, Company Paid Holidays, Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA), Employee Referral Bonus Program, Medical Plan & Dental Plan, Summer Fridays and more…
It is an exciting time to join the GMS/G&A team and we have the core values to prove it — Excellence, Impact, Integrity & Balance shape our future and are designed and defined to help our team understand the link between strategy and culture. These values explain how the day-to-day translates into supporting aligned efforts and goals across the board. Join us as we continue to develop our culture together, to fit our style and your success!
Please send resume to [email protected]